Thursday, September 01, 2005

Update

Hello there

I had not realized how long it had been since I last wrote something. We have been spending the last 2 weeks teaching English in a local neighborhood. I have @ 5-6 that come everyday, most of which have at least some English. So I have been spending a lot of time going over some different parts of speech, vocabulary and will start soon on some slang and phrases. That will be fun as I will teach them some southern terms and general phrases and everyday proverbs as well. So yes, I will be teaching them to say "Howdy y'all, how ya doin' ?"

Due to teaching in the mornings, I have been working on getting things ready in the evenings and trying to spend some good time playing with Pape. As you know, he turned 2 this month and his words have really taken off lately. He also has learned SEVERAL animal sounds. Here are some of the sounds that he knows;
  • Dog- goes "woof"
  • cow- goes "mooooo"
  • Monkey- goes "ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh" (while scratching under his arms)
  • Gorilla- pats his chest
  • crocodile- goes "snap" (while clapping hands)
  • lion- goes "rrooarr" (while raising head and arching eyes)
  • lamb/goat - goes "baaaa"
  • snake- goes "ssssssss' (while trying to stick tongue out)
  • elephant - goes "uuuuuu" (while raising hand into air)
  • bee - goes "zzzzzzz" (although sounds a lot like snake, but without the tongue)
  • rooster - goes "oooo-oooo-oooo-oooo" (has sound, but not rhythm-although knows name as chick, thanks to cards from grandma)
  • Rabbit - goes "Doc!" (one of my favorites....as in "What's up Doc?" I taught him that one)
Lisa will have a list of his words on her blog site soon. I will be trying SOON to add a pictures page to our web-site and some more updated info, I just need to find the time. Well, this somewhat gives you an idea of life the last few weeks. Leave me a comment and tell me what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You silly heads!! I am ready to play with that precious boy and the new girl. Sooo pumped. I am so excited about your work in Senegal, can't wait to actually sit down with you guys. I'm praying for you and love you!