Friday, February 10, 2006

2 O’clock Prayer Time

As you may well know, here the big prayer time is the pm prayer time on Fri. afternoon. That is like our Sunday morning, although usually better attended. Today, on my way to school to teach, I was driving by several Msq on the way and they all were surrounded by hundreds of devout M.s. At first I was struck by their level of devotion and commitment….. then I became rather sad to see it all. I was asked recently what was the good and the bad about living here, and seeing this sort of thing is among the worst.

Let me explain. You see, as a Chrstn, I am ASSURED of where I am going when I die. I know that because of the cost of Jesus, I am going to enter into Heaven when I die. My friends and neighbors here DO NOT know these things. They are almost all afraid of death, in part because they never know if they have done enough good to balance out their bad. I watch them go through so many things and try to follow so many set rituals to try to get better, all along never knowing if it is enough. They could literally miss Paradise by one missed prayer!! This is VERY heartbreaking to me. This is the worst thing about living here, seeing your friends and neighbors starve them selves for a month each year and live in fear of God all their lives. Especially knowing all along if they would just allow me too, I could help point them in the right direction; to a personal relationship with God.

Unfortunately, most here, as in other parts of the M. world, do not realize they have a choice!!! Will you pray with us that God will give dreams and visions and soften hearts of our neighbors and friends? Pray that they will begin to understand that they have a choice, and that they do not have to fear death. Pray also that we will be the examples that we need to be. Pray that in our relationships with each other that they will see God’s love through us as a family as well as in our relations with them. Let me hear from you about your willingness to help lift us up in this.

No comments: